Pastor weights in on Uganda’s cleaning mandate on Sabbaths
Pastor Immanuel Ogwal, the Africa Regional Director at Adventist World Radio (AWR) wrote an open letter to the church leadership in Uganda and the church at large, voicing concerns about the government's cleaning mandate held on Sabbaths and what was called exemption for the Seventh-day Adventists.
Faith Reporters obtained a copy and this is what it says:
Image of Pastor Immanuel Ogwal on X
A concern about the Sabbath exemption and the precedent we may be setting
By Pastor Immanuel Ogwal
Adventist World Radio (AWR) Africa Region Director
...................
I commend the leadership of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Uganda for engaging the Government on the issue of communal cleaning scheduled for the last Sabbath of the month.
I understand that, following these engagements with the Prime Minister, Adventists have been granted an exemption, with the understanding that we may undertake the cleaning on Sunday instead.
I appreciate the effort made by our church leaders. However, I have a concern that I believe deserves thoughtful consideration.
According to the arrangement communicated, while others participate in communal cleaning on the Sabbath, Adventists are expected to remain at home from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., and only begin travelling to church at 10:00 a.m.
This is where my concern begins.
Are we now allowing the State to determine how we should use the hours of the Sabbath?
Our Sabbath School in many Adventist churches begins at around 8:30 a.m., followed by the Divine Service at approximately 10:30 a.m., often continuing until 12:30 p.m.
If members are only expected to leave their homes at 10:00 a.m., what happens to Sabbath School? And with the realities of traffic, especially in our cities, what time will many members actually arrive at church?
More importantly, I worry about the principle involved.
If the government has agreed to exempt Adventists from an activity that conflicts with our Sabbath observance, I believe the exemption should simply mean we are exempt from the activity.
It should not necessarily mean that the government determines when we may leave our homes, travel to church, or participate in Sabbath worship.
I may be forgiven for being apprehensive that this could be a “throwing-a-stone-into-the-bush-to-see-what-will-come-out” situation.
Today it may be a restriction from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Tomorrow, what might be the next condition attached to our religious observance?
I am not suggesting that anyone has bad intentions. Neither am I trying to be alarmist. But as Adventists, we should be particularly sensitive to precedents concerning the Sabbath.
The Sabbath is not merely a day on which we avoid certain activities. It is sacred time dedicated to God.
If the State is willing to exempt us from work or communal activity because of our religious conviction, that is welcome.
But I would be uncomfortable with an arrangement that effectively places restrictions on how and when we worship during the Sabbath.
And there is another question worth asking: Will those who observe Sunday as their day of worship also be restricted from travelling to church between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on Sunday while Adventists undertake the cleaning?
This question is important because religious freedom should protect the exercise of faith, rather than prescribe how that faith should be practised.
For me, this is where the prophetic dimension becomes difficult to ignore.
Daniel 7:25 speaks of a power that would seek to “change times and law.” I do not quote this verse to declare that this particular situation is the fulfilment of that prophecy, nor do I intend to create unnecessary alarm. But I believe the principle should make us spiritually watchful.
The sanctity of the Sabbath is greater than legislation, bylaws, decrees, administrative arrangements or guidelines. Its authority comes from God and Scripture.
Therefore, while I commend our church leaders for engaging the government and securing an exemption, I pray that in seeking practical accommodation, we will not inadvertently establish a precedent that compromises the sanctity and freedom of Sabbath observance.
Perhaps this is a small matter. But sometimes the most significant principles are tested first in seemingly small matters.
May we continue to engage the government respectfully, while at the same time guarding faithfully the sacredness of the Sabbath entrusted to us by God.
The End
Comments
Post a Comment